Saturday, March 22, 2008

Guerilla Marketing


Building a Marketing Plan

Marketing is an incredible subject - and its one I'm focusing on today at a workshop I'm presenting through RCC's Small Business Management program. While a tremendous amount of "How To" material on marketing exists, my biggest question is: Why don't more business people HAVE a marketing plan? Especially entrepreneurs poised at the start-up phase? I think it comes down to two things - Intimidation and/or apathy.

No doubt there are hundreds of other reasons. My intent today with my students isn't to pound into them (via pointed finger and guilt tactics) why they should have a working marketing plan. The objective today is to help them roll up their sleeves and develop theirs.

I've reached out into industry to see what resources I could bring back to my business students (actually working business owners and operators) that could help them through this process. What I found were two excellent resources. Both differ widely from one another in terms of approach and tone. However, both are right on the money.

Guerilla Marketing
Jay & Jeannie Levinson have built an impressive business from their line of "Guerilla" business instruction programs and books. For today's workshop, I'm using their Startup Guide to Guerilla Marketing - A Simple Battle Plan for First-Time Marketers.

They key to the Levinson's Guerilla strategy boils down to a simple seven sentence process. Actually, these seven basic topics truly need to be fully fleshed out and substantiated to build a workable plan, but by the time you're through the cursory answers to the seven sentence assignment, you're over the hump of intimidation that keeps you from starting the plan in the first place. Then, it's just one solid step at a time.

Here are Levinson's key question points:

1) The first sentence explains the purpose of your marketing.

2) The second sentence tells how to achieve the purpose, stressing benefits.

3) The third sentence tells about target audiences.

4) The fourth sentence tells about marketing "weapons" (tactics & strategies) you'll use.

5) The fifth sentence describes your niche in the market place.

6) The sixth sentence tells about your identity.

7) The seventh sentence tells about your marketing budget as a percentage of your projected gross sales.

The Levinsons provide ample direction in their book to help flesh out the complete marketing plan. In addition, their website: www.gmarketing.com provides even more, including a member blog, additional resources and short courses. Currently, an 8-Week intensive course "Guerilla Marketing During Tough Times" is available for early registration.

It might seem odd that I would look to the midwest (Chicago, Illinois), to a private sector venture development/venture capital firm to help my SBM class in the development of their marketing plans. However, I spotted Gaebler Ventures as a shining start in the night sky because of the combination of services they provide. They not only capitalize on successful businesses via providing venture capital, they actually help fledgling companies become successful through guidance and education.

I realize the marketing plan resources Gaebler provides on their website are intended to attract clients. That's just the point - in the process of marketing their company and their services, Gaebler is providing tangible value before potential clients give them a dime for their expertise. I like that.

So, I'm unashamedly using Gaebler's Marketing Plan resources with my SBM students today. I'll let you know how that works. To the folks at Gaebler - Rock on!

No comments:

LinkedIn Rocks!

Do or do not. There is no try...